Toldain Talks

Because reading me sure beats working!

Name:

Toldain started as an Everquest character. I've played him in EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, and Zork Online. And then EVE Online, where I'm 3 million years old, rather than my usual 3000. Currently I'm mostly playing DDO. But I still have fabulous red hair. In RL, I am a software developer who has worked on networked games, but not MMORPGS.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Yes, It Really Is a Global Game Now

I got this Eve mail from someone in my alliance (TNT) this morning.


For those of you who know I live in Tokyo Japan I just though id send an e-mail letting you know i'm ok. Tokyo didn't get hit to bad. All the severe damage is in the northeastern part of Japan. It was one hell of a shake that lasted about 6 min and constant aftershocks lasted for 3 hours afterwards. I'm from Ohio so i have never realy experienced any earthwaukes till I moved to Japan. We have had many but nothing like this. It was crazy. All the rail systems and airports are shut down so Tokyo is at a stand still. There are mobs of people everywhere becuase they can't get home withough the trains running. Anywiay im good and thankfully still have power and internet.

Fly safe,


And here's some footage:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Brian 'Psychochild' Green said...

One of the defining moments for me realizing the power of online games was playing a text MUD. I was talking to a coder who was explaining about the thieves' guild in the game. He mentioned that some abilities depended on "wedge". I asked him what that meant, and he explained it was English slang for money.

I sat there, a college kid from the Midwest who hadn't traveled much in the U.S. and only visited Mexico once. The thought that I was chatting in real-time with someone in England blew my mind.

Anyway, glad your alliance mate was safe. But, yeah, the global impications of our games are immense.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home