Toldain Talks

Because reading me sure beats working!


Toldain started as an Everquest character. I've played him in EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, and Zork Online. And then EVE Online, where I'm 3 million years old, rather than my usual 3000. Currently I'm mostly playing DDO. But I still have fabulous red hair. In RL, I am a software developer who has worked on networked games, but not MMORPGS.

Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Time is My Enemy

That's what Kendricke says:

Time is my enemy. I recognize that the most important number on any raid is not the mitigation of my tank, the health of my target, or the damage of my raid force – it is time I have left on this raid.

This is at the beginning of an essay he calls "My Raiding Manifesto." In some ways, I think its pretty accurate. Raidleaders and raiders in general have to be very focused to be successful. Which is why I'm not a raider. Honestly, I think it could be fun to learn to raid well with the right group of people. I've even dreamed of doing it myself. But I read this and I think, do I really want spend all my waking hours thinking about raiding?

I find little fault with Kendricke, although he didn't put in one thing which I think is likely true.

All through this, I must maintain a good attitude and try to ensure that while we're being successful, we're also having fun.

I strongly suspect Kendricke does this. I know some other raid leaders who do it, or maybe its just such a part of them. I respect them, and I respect their raiders. I just don't want to do it. Go read.



Anonymous Karaya said...

This reminded me of one of my favorite recurring dialogues when I lead a shards group:

Shard A: "This would probably go a lot faster if we weren't here with you, wouldn't it?"

Karaya: "Yes. Yes it would."

Hehe, I chuckle to myself about that now and then. But, I wouldn't feel much like a superheroine if I did everything by myself! ;D

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home