Toldain Talks

Because reading me sure beats working!

Name:

Toldain started as an Everquest character. I've played him in EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, and Zork Online. And then EVE Online, where I'm 3 million years old, rather than my usual 3000. Currently I'm mostly playing DDO. But I still have fabulous red hair. In RL, I am a software developer who has worked on networked games, but not MMORPGS.

Friday, October 03, 2008

Runnyeye Revisited

I had another run in Runnyeye a couple of nights ago. It was very different from my previous adventure. In a good way.

I was invited by Assault, and joined him and four other members of Genesis, not all of whos names I can remember. Assault claims that I leveled with him in Rivervale, which had to have been maybe 3 years ago. I can't remember it.

Genesis was the first high-level raiding guild to form on the Highkeep server, which was where I played until it was merged into Butcherblock. They kept a pretty high profile for perhaps a year after the merger, though perhaps it was only 6 months. I never raided with them, but the few times I grouped with members, I was impressed with the high ratio of competent play to bullshit.

And that was how it worked on our run. Two healers (Defiler and Fury), tank(guardian), warlock, conjuror, and me. This heavy emphasis on PBAE damage seems like a strategy rather than a happenstance, as it is quite necessary to deal with the Slamhammer encounter.

There were a few slip-ups, but in all I died 5 times, and the zone was cleared, all nameds dead. We got the final boss in the second pull, with me starting the combat with a group mez of the encounter. Said group mez only seems to catch two of the mobs. The boss is immune, but no worries, the tank and the healers held him easily as the dps burned down each of the four side mobs in turn, while I kept the others mezzed.

The complication is that some of the side mobs either break mez when the boss is pulled, or can't be mezzed unless directly targeted. It looked like the latter, honestly. There was just a slight pause and then they ran in. My first pull was a little sloppy, and we couldn't burn down the adds fast enough. The tank went down and we broke the encounter.

Second pull went like clockwork. Group mez, mez runner, mez runner. Wait for timers, more mezzing. All locked down and one dead already. Easy money. The boss, has tons of hit points, but we burned him down got a good chest with an item that sold for 60p, netting me 10!

I also got a wand that will add to my mezzing set. So a very profitable time was had by all. And it was without any swashbuckler tanking, or juvenile antics, such as pelvic thrusts to the face over my dead corpse.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home