Toldain Talks

Because reading me sure beats working!

Name:

Toldain started as an Everquest character. I've played him in EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, and Zork Online. And then EVE Online, where I'm 3 million years old, rather than my usual 3000. Currently I'm mostly playing DDO. But I still have fabulous red hair. In RL, I am a software developer who has worked on networked games, but not MMORPGS.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Daedalus Project

A guildie of mine, Jioja, recently turned me on to The Daedalus Project, the social science research of Nick Yee, a research scientist at Xerox PARC, just down the road from my mundane alter-ego.

Dr. Yee started studying Everquest, Quake, and Starcraft as an undergrad in a psych methods class and that's how he started playing EQ. He has ridden that research interest all the way through a Ph.D. in Communications from Stanford, and into his current position.

His site offers a lot of thoughts to chew on. And we do a lot of chewing here, being 3000 years old gives you the time for some rumination.

In any case, I'll be posting thoughts based on some of his writings here. His bio doesn't say which games he plays now, so who knows, we may run into him in game, too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home