Toldain Talks

Because reading me sure beats working!

Name:

Toldain started as an Everquest character. I've played him in EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, and Zork Online. And then EVE Online, where I'm 3 million years old, rather than my usual 3000. Currently I'm mostly playing DDO. But I still have fabulous red hair. In RL, I am a software developer who has worked on networked games, but not MMORPGS.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Polar Bear Club, EQ2 Edition

Lobilya and I played around in Halas (Reborn) last night. We both started new toons. I'm sorry, but I don't have screenshots for you. I take screenshots, I write posts, but I don't seem to be able to connect them. I have tons of screenshots for posts I was gonna write, but never did, and when I get down to writing, I never have the shot I want.

Anyway, it looks great. Really. I started a berserker, it seemed appropriate.

Starting quests have you bashing strange creatures, some of which appear to be some sort of artic version of a zygomid, and at one point you get to try out some zygomid repellent (It worked like a charm.)

There is a big stretch of water to cross, early on. There is a raft that travels back and forth across it. The theme of the newb zone is that you're a new pilgrim, and you are trying to get to Halas to start your new life. There are many other pilgrims, as well as a few Halasians and they need your help.

As often as not, helping them involves killing polar bears. You might end up killing as many polar bears. Phritz commented that he should have named his new toon "Global Warming" because of how many polar bears he had killed.

I decided to try to keep my gathering skills up to my level, and after level 5, this became ridiculously difficult. I could go 10-12 harvests per skillup. And the fishing nodes can be pretty difficult to find. So that's irritating. The quests are good, with a good progression to them.

There isn't so much of a conga-line (to borrow TAGN's phrase), but a vast plain of monsters, some of which are quite unusual. Whirling ice storms seem more like something from Velious than Halas, but whatever. There are also rolling rocks, and animated snowballs that hop around. And bears. Did I mention bears?

I didn't get a look at Halas itself. It seems the highlight is the new player housing there, which comes with a built-in (!) fireplace. I've heard good things about it.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

Well it's actually rather fitting to have Velious-type creatures around, given the Isle of Erollis is made of Velium. The town now known as New Halas was actually built by a group of Coldain dwarves, and Ry`Gorr orcs can be found inhabiting other small islands in the Frostfang Sea. Of course, you would know this if you read the short blurb of lore on the front page of eq2players.com ;)

They don't explicitly say that Erollis is a chunk broken off of Velious, but that seems to me a likely origin story.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Toldain said...

This is the point where I get all high-minded and purist and say that I wouldn't dream of reading lore outside of the game, that I'd rather experience it within the game in a highly organic Gestalt experience.

Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home