Toldain Talks

Because reading me sure beats working!

Name:

Toldain started as an Everquest character. I've played him in EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, and Zork Online. And then EVE Online, where I'm 3 million years old, rather than my usual 3000. Currently I'm mostly playing DDO. But I still have fabulous red hair. In RL, I am a software developer who has worked on networked games, but not MMORPGS.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

All About EVE



One of the first things I do when I play a new character-based game is ask myself, "How do I make Toldain in this system?" Yes, I know, I'm stuck in a rut, but I'm 3000 years old, what do you expect? In EVE, I was faced with some interesting possibilities. It seems Gallente was going to be my race, since they were the most friendly seeming. Which matches up well. I ended up being forced to choose between the best background and skills (Intaki Artist), the best stat profile or the best appearance. I chose to go with Intaki Diplomat, seeing as how the EQ1 version of Toldain was extremely charming.

By the way, that picture up there is Bette Davis from the 1950 Oscar-winner All About Eve. If you haven't seen it, stop that mining this instant and go rent it and give it a watch. It has few explosions except for most of Bette Davis' lines, but still worth two hours, assuming your skills are queued up.



Anyway, here's what Toldain looks like. Not as pretty as he might be, but somewhat elfin, and with fabulous red hair, for sure. And as a capsuleer, he is immortal. I think his eyes are so sunken because he was up really late last night waiting for a manufacturing run to finish so I could get the speed completion bonus to the mission...never mind, I'll talk about that in another post.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a mezzer in EVE, maybe some kind of ECM that I'm way too much a noob to do anything with? I look forward to finding out about all this kind of stuff.

In any case, Tipa has inspired me to give EVE Online at least a 14-day trial.

So, I'll be letting you know what's happening. Coming soon, spreadsheets and

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Tipa said...

Sure, there's mezzing! It's call electronic warfare or electronic counter-measures (ECM). Or electronic counter-counter-measures (ECCM) and is an absolutely vital role in a pvp fight.

Statis fields/Webifiers (webs) slow down enemy ships so they can more easily be hit. Warp scramblers (scrams) stop your enemy from warping out. Sensor dampeners make it hard or impossible for enemies to target you. Energy drainers (Nosferatus, or Nos) drain enemy capacitors so they can't maintain their defense or, in some cases, fire their weapons.

Enchanters are alive and well in EVE. New pilots can be flying a tackler -- a frigate fitted out to web and scram so slower moving ships can catch up and pound the enemy to pieces -- in a couple of days. This is usually the fleet role given to new players, but it is absolutely a vital one.

ECM was my role in our PvP ops, in fact.

Welcome to EVE :) Look me up online -- Tipa Pinneau.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home