Toldain Talks

Because reading me sure beats working!

Name:

Toldain started as an Everquest character. I've played him in EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, and Zork Online. And then EVE Online, where I'm 3 million years old, rather than my usual 3000. Currently I'm mostly playing DDO. But I still have fabulous red hair. In RL, I am a software developer who has worked on networked games, but not MMORPGS.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Face is the Most Important Part

I just finished reading the best post ever about female plate armor, a topic of long-standing interest here. It's written by someone who makes armor. No doubt for SCA. Via the most-worthy tumblr Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor.

Here's a taste:


Any artist working with human subject matter will tell you that the face is the most important part of the character. A headshot by itself can tell you everything you need to know about who a person is and how they feel. Sex appeal can come entirely from a beautiful face, the body doesn’t need to be naked as well.


I argue that this:





is more appealing than this:





The bare chest and boob plate add nothing to the femininity, sexiness, or appeal of the character. Focus on the face for character appeal, let the armor be a reflection of the setting and her role within it.


Well, that's kind of hyperbole to make a point. I wouldn't say they add nothing. But the face and the eyes, as he says, rule.

And the red hair. I'm just saying...

So, the question I'm pondering is: If it doesn't add anything, why do we keep doing it? Is it because the artists/medium in question can't do the former?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home