Toldain Talks

Because reading me sure beats working!


Toldain started as an Everquest character. I've played him in EQ2, WoW, Vanguard, LOTRO, and Zork Online. And then EVE Online, where I'm 3 million years old, rather than my usual 3000. Currently I'm mostly playing DDO. But I still have fabulous red hair. In RL, I am a software developer who has worked on networked games, but not MMORPGS.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Face is the Most Important Part

I just finished reading the best post ever about female plate armor, a topic of long-standing interest here. It's written by someone who makes armor. No doubt for SCA. Via the most-worthy tumblr Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor.

Here's a taste:

Any artist working with human subject matter will tell you that the face is the most important part of the character. A headshot by itself can tell you everything you need to know about who a person is and how they feel. Sex appeal can come entirely from a beautiful face, the body doesn’t need to be naked as well.

I argue that this:

is more appealing than this:

The bare chest and boob plate add nothing to the femininity, sexiness, or appeal of the character. Focus on the face for character appeal, let the armor be a reflection of the setting and her role within it.

Well, that's kind of hyperbole to make a point. I wouldn't say they add nothing. But the face and the eyes, as he says, rule.

And the red hair. I'm just saying...

So, the question I'm pondering is: If it doesn't add anything, why do we keep doing it? Is it because the artists/medium in question can't do the former?



Post a Comment

<< Home